Friday, November 17, 2006

Birthday Boy





Today my boy Jack becomes, an adult. My God, is it really 18 years since he was born!

Just like me, he was determined to show his bum first to the world and so was born by caesarian section. I got stuck in traffic and nearly didn't make it in time - they weren't prepared to hang around. After getting him out, they gave him to me and took my wife away to 'finish off' and I was left with my 10 minute old son, alone in a room. Then an extraordinary thing happened - he opened his eyes and looked around the room as if he was thinking 'So now where am I?' and then he looked straight at my face, eyes focussed as if he was saying 'And who the hell are you?' - and then he went to sleep quite calmly.

It was a very profound experience.

So, tonight I shall take him to the pub and buy him his first legal pint, as a father should!

4 Comments:

Blogger Richard said...

Did he get his first legal hangover?

11:46 pm  
Blogger Phil said...

Naturally!
He also had the regulation 4 conversations with Hughie and Ralph on the way to his girlfriend's - due, I am sure, to being given a sambuca by a 'well-meaning' friend on top of the 5/6 pints of Fosters he'd already downed.

That's Ma Boy!!!......

8:31 pm  
Blogger Richard said...

Hughie, Ralph, Bert and Reg. Rotten buggers aren't they. Did you have to scrape him off the bathroom floor and get him dressed for bed just like my Dad did 28 years ago?

10:53 pm  
Blogger Phil said...

Sorry it's been a while - Phone line has been down over the weekend!

He was civilised enough to have his 'conversation' outside...

A chip off the old block!

12:22 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home