Wednesday, November 08, 2006

First

So, here it starts.
I'm always slow to take up anything, but never late etc.

The title came from a friend a long time ago and for a while I had a computer file into which I put things that occurred to me or appealed to my mood.

Here they are:

At 30 I said that I'd reached the gap between youth and middle age. It's disconcerting at 55 to find, as my body continues to age, that my head is still stuck firmly in that gap. It's surprising how much of a shock it is to look in the mirror. (Obviously that was a while ago - still applies though!)

Fatuous sayings
"Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved"
And
"You're only as old as you feel"
Speaking as a lonely and sad old git who feels himself unloved and unwanted and who sees the end of his life rushing towards him like an out of control express train. Having virtually nothing to look forward to I take exception to such pearls being cast before me by my younger friends who, having so much before them, have no conception of what it's like to be me.



'Life is what happens while you're making other plans' - Film 'Kuffs'

‘Life is what happens while you’re waiting for a table’ – Sex and the City.

Why do all the women I know store knives point - up after washing them up ?

"If you never want to be criticised: Say Nothing, Do Nothing, Be Nothing" Confucious.

Diplomacy is saying 'Nice Doggy' until you can find a rock. (from a Craig Thomas book)

Is everybody affected by Murphy's Law as much as I am ? Perhaps I'm more aware of it - or more paranoid

Nytol tablets ("a clinically proven sleep aid") have a warning on the pack - 'may cause drowsiness' . Is this ludicrous or what ?

"This kind of certainty comes only once in a lifetime" - Clint Eastwood in 'The Bridges of Madison County'

' ........now in later life it's as if I'm standing on a mountain of broken glass looking for the diamonds I threw away in my youth.........' - Film 'The Foreign Student' (on lovers)

"You are old too soon, and smart too late" - Mike Tyson

Stephen Fry’s Sept 11 shirt story – “if my mother had good taste I’d be dead”

The Moving Finger writes and, having writ,
Moves on; nor all your Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a line,
Nor shall your tears blot out a Word of it.


Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds
Or bends with the remover to remove:
O, no! it is an ever fixed mark,
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;
It is the star to every wandering bark,
Whose worth’s unknown, although his height be taken.
Love’s not Time’s fool, though rosy lips and cheeks
Within his bending sickle’s compass come
Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks
It bears out even unto the edge of doom.
If this be error, and upon me proved,
I never writ, nor man ever loved.

_____________________
Well that's me laid bare - now I'll have to go away and think for a while...........

4 Comments:

Blogger Richard said...

Phil, once you meet some of the people around here you can forget all the thinking stuff. Most of them gave that up long ago.

10:37 am  
Blogger Phil said...

It'll be all too familiar then!

2:12 pm  
Blogger Tennessee Jed said...

I still think, it is more abstract now, but I still think.

Welcome to online publishing phil! It is a great way to get some of the snakes out of your head and give them to folks who may need some of your snakes to make them feel normal. Whatever the heck normal is.

3:24 pm  
Blogger Richard said...

Jed, he can't make matters worse anyhow.

12:23 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home